So recently a friend interviewed me for a local magazine(!), she sent me these really amazing questions. The kind that had me shut off my music/background noise (typically a YouTube video) to really be able to think. I sent them off to her, grammar errors and all, and moved on.
She wrote me back and asked if I wrote. & that if I didn't, I should start.
The truth is words are my first love. I wanted to be a journalist. I remember admitting this to my Tia Chaparra, the teacher/traveler/forever soltera... She replied that I should be a Nurse instead because there's always job security for Nurses. Que triste.
I was in Journalism in High School and LOVED IT. So much so that I dedicated the most time to our newspaper. Over the years I have written lots, secret blogs hidden in the abyss of the internet, journals and little notes everywhere, and even here. It's not something I nurture as much as I should, thought. That's clear.
So, Chrissy, if you ever read this... Thank you, mujer. I intend to write more and more and more this year. I plan to share my experiences as a full time artist/vendor, what it's like living on the beautiful South Side of San Antonio, the ups and down of this chubby chingona paving her way. Y con eso, here are Five Things 2017 (thus far):
1. The UPS delivery guy came and delivered something on Friday. He's been here lots of times, but this was his first in a while. He asked where the "killer dog" was. With a crazy lump in my throat, I told him Yoshi passed away. Apologies and condolences later, I laughed and thanked him. Yoshi was the neighborhood grump, barking at and threatening anyone that came too close. It was a cute reminder of my guy. I miss him so much.
2. My workspace is clean! Well, mostly. We planned on having my best friend's baby shower here and that threw me into crazy high gear. Solita, pero con animo, I cleaned my entire workspace. The floor is completely visible, ya'll. Now, there is a crazy shelf with stuff nearly spilling out, but that's why there are curtains! Rain changed our plans, and the shower was held elsewhere, but I'm happy that my little studio got the love she deserves. (mom voice: "haber cuanto dura...")
3. Drink more water, mija. I'm trying my hardest to get at least 8 cups in a day and drink way less soda. I've been doing really good! I've had my days where all I crave is a big glass of coke, TBH, but mostly I'm happy with my ice water.
4. I'M GOING TO MEXICO CITY, YA'LL! I did this crazy thing-- I saw that Southwest Airlines was having a crazy sale, so I check out flights to Mexico City during my birthday weekend. The deal was insane and too good to pass up. So in the middle of a late night work session, I booked a flight not knowing who could come with me, where I'd stay, etc. A few days later I booked an apartment through AirBnb. I'm so excited. I'm going to see Frida Kahlo's house. Ay!!!!!
5. Stickers y planners y mas. I've had so much fun working on planner and journal stickers! The stationary aisle has been my favorite since I was old enough to know what it was. It's a dream to be able to create my own and share the with the world <3.